Cancelled shows

I’m sorry that I’ve had to cancel some of the shows on this tour---apologies to everyone in Charlottesville, Ashland, Charlotte and Chapel Hill, Decatur , Chattanooga, Nashville, St Augustine and St Petersburg. I was looking forward to seeing friends and playing to new folks I haven’t met yet in those cities. The bad news is I may have to cancel a few more shows ---but the good news is I’ll be back on the road soon.

Doctors say I have to take a little break after blacking out on stage in Wilmington Wednesday. I ended up in the hospital, but I’m doing OK—heading back home tonight and the short version is that they’re not sure why it happened and may never know. But I’m doing OK…just have to have some more tests and take it easy for a little while.

If you’re really interested, here’s the long story: I’m probably off the road through November 6. Doctor’s orders. I blacked out on stage Wednesday night in Wilmington---all I know is that I suddenly lost vision in my right eye and got disoriented and all fuzzy. Very scary. I went to the emergency room and after a lot of tests, they’ve decided I had two mini subacute strokes.

I’m OK, just a little hazy now. Probably because of all the tests. I was under anesthesia yesterday for an ultrasound through my esophagus called a transesophageal echocardiography. It showed that my heart is fine. I’ve also had a CT scan of my brain, an MRI of my brain (that’s what showed the two subacute strokes had occurred) ultrasounds of my legs and heart and also an MRA of the arteries in my neck that shows no blockages. And my blood pressure and cholesterol are both great.

Bottom line is that they just don’t know what caused this. Since I don’t drink, smoke or take drugs, I asked if my schedule or stress could have anything to do with it and they said they didn’t think so. But I’m going to have some more tests today and then a few more after I get home.. Maybe I had a blood clot or something like that.

Again, I’m really sorry about canceling these shows. I hated to do it, but didn’t have a choice. I’ll let you know when I’m back at it.

Thanks very much to Lou and Rain for driving me to the ER.

I really am OK. Just a little hazy---there’s no paralysis or anything like that. I apologize if I don’t get back to you, but I have to take it easy as I work with everyone to figure this all out. Big thanks to all the doctors and nurses and orderlies etc at University Medical at Princeton. Time for me to go home and rest.

Everything Elsesteve poltz