The Mexico Drug Bust Pics (Boston here we come)

stevejewel23.jpg
stevejewel23yes.jpg
Hi Friends,
I finally found the pics from the Mexico trip I took with Jewel back in I think 1993. I am not certain of the year as the forklift trucks in my brain are shifting the grey matter around to find the correct date. Now that I look at the picture I see it says 1995. This means we must have written some other song down there. Maybe I smuggled all that weed back to the states and can’t remember anything. I think the song we wrote on the drug bust was I thought I saw you last night or Daddy She’s a Goddess. I do remember that we wrote You Were Meant For Me down there on a surfing trip and one other song called Food Stamp Love. I always thought FSL was going to be the hit. But what the hell do I know? If I was running the record companies it would be a very different story with no records being sold and the whole thing going to hell in a hand basket. Oh wait

This entry was posted in Everything Else and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to The Mexico Drug Bust Pics (Boston here we come)

1. sean says:

I love you.

2. sean says:

wait a minute…what the hell? you found them in indiana!?!?!?!?

3. ms. p says:

Can you guys pick me up at Logan if I fly up for the show?
    I don’t want to drive in Boston.
    ps. The date on the picture is 7/3/95 – YWMFM was written in 1994. LIES I TELL YOU! LIES! WE’VE BEEN SOLD A BAG OF ROCKS!
    I don’t care what Sean says, I still love you.

4. mitch cumsteen says:

damn poltz….what is with those shorts? do you still have them? if so, i would love to do a trade out with them for maybe some of my polyester grandpa pants.
    so, did you win the hacky sack tournament down there?
    i find it very interesting that jewel looks so excited to have the gun and pot. very interesting miles.
    when do you get to nyc? it’s been too long. this time, i’m just going to quit my job upon your arrival because i could never handle being fired.
    bye

5. Troy Lee Wells says:

God I love those pics! :)
    Miss you Michael.
    Love,
    Tony

6. ms p says:

Stevo, you resemble Fisher Stevens in his Short Circuit days with the lovely tan, and the not so hirsute facial hair.
    Thanks for finally posting the pics!!! Did you get it cleared with Jewel’s lawyer first? :)

7. steverino says:

you are right ms p. the pic says 1995. i think we wrote you were meant for me on a different surfing trip to mex. i can’t remember anything. you should have heard me last night.

8. ms p says:

Don’t you see?! That makes the stories THAT much better. You’re losing money every minute you don’t repeat and exaggerate that story.
    I WILL hear you last night — you’re still selling these shows, right?
    xoxox

9. Knuckles says:

Holy cow, it’s all true! I’ve heard the Mexico interlude story for years during “You Were Meant for Me” and always figured it was just Steve goin’ fanciful and dreamy on us. Wow, a picture speaks a million words in this case. Steve, I’ll never doubt anything you ever say, ever again at any time and in any story or song or late night chat or anywhere… OK, I think that covers it.
    Knuckles

10. Vanessa says:

I love it! You really did post the pics, just like you promised! Such a good boy ;)
    Miss you much doll! Thank you for an amazing show last night!!!
    XOXOXO
    V~

11. Mark says:

Steve, I too have heard the story many times during YWMFM…. and now… proof in the pudding! How cool! Those pictures Rock! I wonder what Jewel’s PR people are thinking right about now! Lol… The AK 47′s, bags of Pot, and Cervesa in hand! too funny.. all true! I too will never doubt any Stories from U Steve… ha ha ha! Thanks for posting Steve! Now how about the pictures of you peeing on the Fancy red curtains after watching the fire breathing dragon show for David Cassidy In Las Vegas!! ;-) Cheers…..

12. Frag says:

It’s about time, muthafugga!
    I’m off to send a link to the EDA list. Be prepared for this site to crash from all the hits! ;)

13. Ben says:

Finally the pics come up Steve, I guess it just took a crazy show to finally get you to post it. The only thing missing from those salad days is a trailer, a kidnapped baby and Holly Hunter. You look a bit like Buddy Jesus in the pictures.
    Thank you so much for signing all the stuff last night and the amazing show you put on. GREAT 3 hour set. I’m not sure how the David Cassidy story turned into such a celebration of coprophilia (look it up) but it was hilarious. You can be my bartender any day.
    - Ben who kicks ass

14. Adrian says:

thanks for posting those pics! fun times, indeed – and bringing back memories of wonderfully wacky and happy days seeing you on tour with the Rugburns and Jewel
    I don’t know Biblical figures well, but you kissing the weed sure does look like it could be one of the stations of the cross or something…
    best wishes for health and happiness – long may you run ( :
    Adrian (who stays out of ca-noes)

15. Wes w/carpet-munchin moms says:

Wow the countless times I’ve heard the story and the pictures finally surface…ahh the Federale fashion of the early 90′s, how i miss it so.
    P.s. Sorry for missin ya at Chelsea’s hopefully you had a glorious time in the old Red Stick.
    Gummi bear kisses and Fake tatoo hugs,
    Wes

16. POLO says:

I guess a frame stamped 7/3/95 means the shot was from 1995………………….

17. michele says:

oh my god those pictures rule so much, i’ve always wanted to see those, freakin awesome

18. michele says:

19. marina says:

that rocks!
    nice shorts!

20. Priscilla says:

I love Food Stamp Love, too!! You gotta sing that song! you know… when you come to New Orleans again. :)
    Thanks,
    ‘Cilla

21. Priscilla says:

Hey! Sorry, just checked the tour dates… when you come to Baton Rouge!! Sing Food Stamp Love in Baton Rouge!! I’ll drive up there! Please? October seems so far away now…
    Thanks,
    ‘Cilla

22. Cindy says:

Of course something weird is going to happen in boston. 1) It’s Boston, we crazy up in here; 2) it’s Friday the 13th..ooooohhhh; 3) It’s my birthday and me and the posse are heading to the dice to check out your show. Should be a hoot!!! Be prepared!!! and godspeed!

23. Jamie "the cat/febreeze/usps box guy" Price says:

You Kept your promise about the pics (Jewel with an AK-47 and pot…What’s that? Must be cum!). Now I must keep mine. Here goes…
    “Thank you for putting this up. We know you lived up to your word, Steve. You’re a man of your word. You’re not a deadbeat dad. You paid that child support to your 50 kids you have strung out from here to Africa.”
    There! Now, what the hell were you drinking in Indy? “One Left Chinese”, Steve? I pity the fool who missed that badass show. Stinky, thanks for banging my box! Steve, thanks for pissing in my ass! Hope to hear that you made use of the mailbox! See you next time around!

24. Jamah says:

How random is it Steve, I’m flying out to Boston Friday the 13th!
    Love the pictures! Ahh the good ol days…

25. Jay H. says:

Thanks for the photos Steven the 10 year wait was worth it!

26. tj says:

steve,
    hate to muddy the waters butt…
    that trip w/ her was DEFINITELY prior to ’95. here’s why… i was AT the Innerchange the night she told that story and i left San Diego in ’94 sooo… i don’t know what crazy date yer talkin’ bout and i’m fully present of all my faculties so perhaps summore reasearch on yer part there bubbah?

27. rosey says:

either the date stamp is wrong or? I have my interview of you that we shot with Grace at my house in June of 1994 when you played YWMFM in my room. Remember? You ate the bad Taco Bell?
    Anyhow, nice to see you’re still doing your thing, I haven’t talked to you in ages.
    Cheers!

28. steverino says:

i think you are right. i think the date on the camera was wrong. they can get screwy you know. mine says it’s 2007. all the details are so foggy. i can’t rememberwhen we wrote what. i put a call in to jewel today to figure it oot. i will get to the bottom of this if it takes me my whole life gosh doggit. i also know you should never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
    i love you guys. this has been a fun tour for me.
    sjjp

29. Frag says:

I’m pretty sure we all know that you enjoy sidestepping reality from time to time when it comes to spinning a good yarn. That’s why we love you.
    Michael Fracasso says hi. And he wants someone to call him (Rain?) next time you’re in Austin so he can come see you play. He’ll be in Maryland when you’re at Louenrain’s house… maybe he’d blowoff his own show to sidetrack to Jersey? He should be hearing you soon enough, though… I plan on giving him a copy of the Cleveland show tomorrow night. We’ll see what HE thinks of the Patty song…
    Oh, and if Jewel returns your call, ask her to put me on “the list” for Waukegan, Merrillville, and St. Louis. I can’t afford her damn tickets! ;)

30. Carence says:

” i also know you should never let the truth get in the way of a good story.”
    This is one of the many reasons I love you.
    See you in 3 days, sucka!

31. Bernie Goldstein says:

Mr. Poltz-
    This is a reminder to cease and desist all commenting on David Cassidy during your live performances and interviews. Need i remind you it was you that asked Mr. Cassidey to write you a #1 song because you never thought you could pull it off? You admitted to everyone in the room that evening that all you know how to write about are hookers and food. Hot dogs, bananas, doritos, etc. Do you have any yet that mention cheeseburgers, milkshakes, or apple pie? Lookout jimmy Buffett.
    Thank you very much for your cooperation.
    Sincerely,
    BG

32. ms p says:

Bernie!!! You always come off really well in the stories! I hear that David lives in Saratoga Springs these days — that’s not too awful far from the Turning Point. Huh. I’m thinking it’d be BRILL if David would show up and we could finally get HIS side of the story. Steve — maybe you could give HIM cholera.
    Damnit I wanna come to NY!
    Tussy

33. marina says:

then cum p…pretty please!!

34. Kimberly says:

All I can say looking at these pics is what Steve said after Stinky’s pan solo at the Evening Muse in Charlotte – SHAZAM SHALOM!!
    Kim

35. Adrian says:

according to the chronology that used to be on the Planet Jewel site (and maybe still is, not sure…) – if 07/03/95 means July 7 ’95, Jewel was performing in Asbury Park, NJ at the Saint; if it means March 7 ’95 it’s harder to place things – on March 2, ’05 she performed in San Diego at the Hahn Cosmopolitan Theatre (the 2nd Pieces of You release gig), and she surfaces next in Toronto on March 13 ’05 at the C’est What…
    anyone have a list of Steve’s shows during this period?!
    anyway, maybe this helps…
    Ad

36. Adrian says:

p.s. that performance chronology used to be on Adam’s “Pieces of Jewel” site (not Planet Jewel)…
    Ad

37. milhouse says:

wholy crap! I thought you made that whole story up…. it was too good to be true!!! even if YWMFM wasnt the song you wrote, still a kick ass story,,,,Heard it live at Java joes closing, and on KGB Radio…… later….

38. sean says:

who’s jewel?

39. Ryan says:

Wasn’t that the music box story? I remember hearing it at one of your shows…. .
    ….Drooling…… ahhhh….. so much weed….. :-)

40. Stephen H says:

I’ve heard Jewel tell this story so many times that I grew sick of it. Furthermore, she is always changing it somewhat. However, it is nice to actually see pictures!!! Thanks Steve!

41. Red Balls says:

Thanks for posting the pictures Steve. The show in indy was amazing and I really enjoyed it. You kick jewels ass!!!!

42. Chris W says:

Steve
    Great show in Indy! You and Stinky kicked ass. It was my first Poltz experience and I feel like I was living a hollow and empty life for all these years. Think of how much I have been missing all this time! God, I’m so depressed! There’s no point going on. I’ve been losing money all that time I wasn’t enjoying your music. I gotta go now. Anyone seen my AK-47? (P.S. – Please come back to Indy in case I miss!)

43. Karen says:

All right. So now can we see the pictures with the redhead and the baby deer?

44. SuzieQ says:

ha ha . I LOve reading these comments. wasn’t that song copyrighted in like 1994 or something? or maybe that was something else….what I do know is that it was one of the first songs I actually tried to learn guitar for and do a cover of…and knowing me I probably dedicated it to some boy at an open mic who I had known for like two days….and totally freaked him out. ha ha. I think it adds a little brass to just say yeah-so this song is about the dude who I madeout with last night who is sitting right in front of me…ha ha…
    Steve Poltz people are big hearted hooligans and I Love em….I discovered that last week…
    Sean Carey is hot. and Carence is hot.
    and Rain, and the Pixie lady, and T.Lee Wells -you all got hearts the size of the moon.
    I’m swoonin in yer freedom.
    xoxo
    Suzieq

45. Nickyfer says:

Steve, I LOVE you. Next time Jewel comes to Europe, come with her! please? I beg you I beg you I beg you!

46. Denise Shayne says:

Steve, I saw you with Jewel at the McCallum Monday night. I was so impressed. I’ve never heard you sing before. I loved your song about the Palm Springs basketball story. I’d love to hear you sing again. Take care, Denise

47. Martin says:

Does this mean the photos of Brett Favre at the Bambi Club will be posted soon?
    M.

48. koli says:

wow…..that was way back…when jewel got fired for stealing java joe’s brownies…the good old days when a normal girl from Alaska still had here soul…when I saw her dancing around like beyonce meets J-lo i thought wow she has definately lost her freakin mind…
    i listened to her first album the other day and I couldn’t believe how pitchy she sang…eeks! I do believe now it’s those boobs who got signed…
    I also think Steve is still heartbroken over the fact that Jewel has moved on forever….I think he will always love her, and I would say that 98 percent of his music revolves around the fact that he can’t have that sweet bootie anymore…
    it won’t be too long before he drugs one of Ty’s horses so he fly’s off and can’t perfrom in the sack anymore…I mean do you think Jewel would stick it out with someone she had to clean up after?

49. sean says:

aaaah, good. been lookin’ for that poker link. thanks for posting.
    skizzly bop.

50. Lilsy says:

You look like Jesus.
    I always new he was a hackysack player…

Comments are closed.